Happy New Year, folks! We made it to 2020.
I have a tendency to set intentions and create resolutions at the beginning of the year and then never look at them again. That kind of happened in 2019. However, I looked back at my first post from 2019, when I laid out goals for the year, and even though I hadn’t looked back on them at all as the year progressed…it turns out I actually accomplished most of them? So that’s cool.
Let’s take a look back and a look forward, shall we?
Goals I had at the beginning of 2019, and progress on those goals:
- Find a new therapist
- I found a new therapist in January, and it was, on the whole, the most productive year of my life, in terms of therapy. I’ve been working through all sorts of things and feel like I’ve greatly increased my capacity for handling shit that comes up.
- Complete a second FAWM
- I wrote 18 songs for FAWM this year (the goal is 14), including two co-writes with my partner! We’d never written together before, so that was cool.
- Write 30 songs
- I wrote 50 songs, which is completely bonkers. The last one was written via quietly-recorded voice memos on the late-night drive to Minnesota for Christmas.
- Read more
- Technically I managed this – I read more books than I did last year. Didn’t quite hit my Goodreads goal of 25, but managed 23.
- Go back to Song School
- We did this, and it was such an incredible, affirming experience. I even managed to write a song while I was there, and got to perform it at the open stage with eight beautiful people.
- Play out at least four times
- Unless we count Song School, I played out three times. However…
- Find at least one opportunity to play out somewhere other than the Acoustic Explosion
- I did this! I played a show called Homolatte for the first time, and it was brilliant.
- Play more D&D
- While I always wish I could play more, I did this. Also got into some other games. I love the folks I game with so much.
- Keep tracking finances and get money under control
- I still feel less in control than I’d like, but I’m way better off than I was last year, and I’m on track to have my credit card paid off in June!
Other things that happened:
- Saw my grandmother for the first time in nine years
- Attempted 50/90 (and managed 17 songs)
- We moved!
- Reintroduced myself to my extended family (which went way better than I expected it to
- Was a pallbearer at my grandfather’s funeral
- Deepened existing friendships; made new friends
Goals I have for 2020:
- Write. Songs, yes, but also other things, poems and short stories and maybe even games.
- Read more, especially poetry and other things that inspire me.
- Make music often, as close to every day as possible.
- Do the work, in therapy and on my own, to be an adult that my inner child can be proud of.
- Take care of my body and my brain and my spirit.
- Follow through on the plan to have my credit card paid off in June.
- Create more routine and space for ritual in my life.
May your 2020 be better than your 2019, and may this time of transition treat you gently and leave you with what you need from it.
One thought on “2019/2020”
Pingback: 2020/2021 | Accidental Fudge